Total Pageviews



27 January 2010

Review: Clinique Mascaras



I own 3 Clinique mascaras, and I must say that Clinique is one of my favourite brands when it comes to mascaras. The prize is good for a high end brand (£14.50), the formula is nice and lasts all day without flaking (this goes for the three mascaras that I own at least).



First of all, you need to know that I have very fair skin and also eyelashes. When I wake up in the morning, it doesn't look like I have any lashes (because they are blonde... Grrrrr, I hate that!)

Therefore I tend to go for natural looking mascaras, so that the contrast isn't so great. I don't like mascaras that clump, and I am after volume more than lenght. I always wear brown or grey mascaras for daytime to  not make my eyes too dark, but will sometimes wear black when I'm going out at night.

So, on to Clinique. I own:

Clinique High Impact Mascara (in 01 Black (top) and 02 Black/Brown (bottom))

What Clinique says - High Impact Mascara is a multi-benefit mascara that adds maximum volume with definition and length effortlessly. Specially developed brush and formula work together to dramatically thicken lashes while combing for separation.

What I say - I do love the volume this mascara gives to my lashes, they look really thick and healthy (if lashes can look healthy...)! It's a medium sized brush (not as big as Diorshow or the Maybelline Colossal), which I like. Downside though is that this can clump if I'm not careful when applying it, and sometimes when I'm in a rush in the morning, I am NOT careful. That means I have to go through my lashes after with a comb...added work...hmmm.

It's got one of those brushes that when you pull it out of the container, you can see the lumps already on the bristles... Not too good. Both of my wands are like that. It's a shame because this mascara gives great results!

I will give this 3/5.


Clinique Lash Power Mascara Long Wearing Formula (in 01 Black (top) and 04 Dark Chocolate (bottom))

What Clinique says - Vows to look pretty for 24 hours without a smudge or smear. One stroke and these pretty lashes last through rain, sweat, humidity, tears. Yet the formula removes easily with warm water. Unique brush reaches and beautifully lengthens even the tiniest of lashes.

What I say - Gaaaah, just look at that brush. Not a single lump or blob of mascara out of place - just as I like it! The Clinique description is actually spot on in this case. You only need one stroke and it will last you all day, rain or tornado ;) It gives you very natural looking lashes, nothing too long or voluminous (so it's not your kind of mascara if you are after the falsh lash effect), but it is the perfect "I'm in a hurry, but need to look like I HAVE ON eyelashes" kind of mascara :D The brush is tiny and thin, so it can really get in there reaching every single one of your lashes.

This would be my favourite everyday mascara IF there wasn't a wee problem with its removal at the end of the day... I cannot get it off with makeup remover or makeup wipes! Silly me was rubbing and rubbing till my eyes got sore when I first bought this. Then I had a look at Clinique's pages to see what the h*** was going on!

"Innovative thermal sensitive technology that helps it stay put for 24 hours is easy to remove. Use fingertips to splash warm water (39º C/103º F, bath temperature is ideal) on lashes several times and press gently. Or, wet a cotton pad with warm water, press to eye, then wipe away."

Ahhh, so water is the trick, I thought! Errrrr, no! It's still a hassle to get off, and surprisingly it is a bit inconvenient to be rubbing water in my eyes every night, trying to gently get it off. It takes a lot of water to remove it all and when you are used to getting mascara off with one or two strokes with makeup remover pads, it ain't impressive.

Because of that, I give this mascara 4/5.


Clinique Naturally Glossy Mascara (in 02 Jet Brown)

What Clinique says - Lifts, lengthens, and separates lashes. Lashes stay silky, pliant, clump-and flake-free through multiple coats. Bushy, easy-to-use brush.

What I say - This is a gorgeous mascara, I have to say. I love, love, love the brush, which is a small, long and clump free one. It has a lot of bristles and gives an even, natural and volumized look. It also is easy to remove at the end of the day, so major plus there! I grab for this one the most in the mornings, simply because it is the easiest to use, gives the best result and I know I can rely on it to stay put and look glossy and fabulous all day.

I give this 5/5.


A picture of the 3 mascaras next to each other to illustrate the brush differences...

(From left to right) : High Impact, Naturally Glossy and Lash Power.

As I am very fond of Clinique mascaras, I will continue to buy them, and I am also excited to try the new High Impact Curling Mascara and the Lash Doubling mascara.


Do you own any Clinique mascaras?



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment hun! I really like you blog! =)
    I think my love for make up started with Clinique. I havent used anything by Clinique lately but I know when the next bonus time (this is how a justify it to the bf!) is on I'll be making a few purchases! =) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    Haha, I love the bonus time too! Never say no to free gifts :) I really do recommend the mascaras... ;)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Clinique mascaras - I'm currently using High Impact which I love but agree about having to apply it carefully to avoid clumps...
    Naturally Glossy was the first mascara that I owned :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used clinque mascara but intend to check them out.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day by leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disclaimer




Now then...

All views and opinions on this blog are my own. All products mentioned on this blog have been purchased by me, with my own money, unless otherwise stated. If at any time I receive a product which I have not purchased myself, and I decide to review it on my blog, I will include all relevant information about how/where it came from in the blog post.

That's all ;)